I took on this experiment to satisfy my own curiosity about weaving cloth on this big fly-shuttle rug loom. I wasn't acquainted with anyone who had done it, but I had a shuttle especially designed for the loom and yarn, so I decided to try it out.
I was using size 8/2 cotton for the warp. I knew from previous experience that setting it at 24 ends per inch would be just right for a 2/2 twill. The sections on the warp beam measure 2" between the pegs, so I calculated 48 ends in each section for a width of 20", equaling 10 sections. I suspected I would end up wishing I had used 26-28 ends per section, since each peg takes up some of the width.
My pattern for the towels was the Michigan Tartan, found on the Scottish Register of Tartans,
I used the threadcount given for the tartan, decided what was going to be at the starting edge and then made a chart noting the order and number of each color for each section. Each section had to total 48, so some of the stripes were in two different sections.
I used the bright pink post-a-notes to keep my place and crossed off each color as it was wound.
I use eight pieces of plastic tubing seen on the pegs to keep the yarn from accidentally going into the sections on either side.
I threaded the 12 dent reed with two warp ends per space. When I was done, I knew I was right about needing to wind 26-28 ends per section, because the warp in the ten sections was wider than in the reed. It wasn't bad enough to do over, and besides, this was all just an experiment, with the spacing included. Next time I will add more warp ends per section.
I eventually ended up putting a different picker heel on that wasn't as worn as the one I started with. It did help a lot. All the warp breakage occurred on the first towel and the first inch of the second towel. I got a lot of practice repairing warp threads on this big old loom!