Friday, July 22, 2011

Inkle Weave Pick-up

I recently ran across an article in Handwoven, J/F 1996, pg 50, showing the pick-up technique for weaving patterns on an inkle loom.  I liked the designs, so I got out my homemade inkle loom and warped it up after modifying the pattern a little bit.  I added four more pattern threads to make a slightly wider band.  I used a thick crochet yarn for the base and edge yarns, and a thicker, slubby rayon/cotton blend rainbow varigated yarn for the pattern warp.

This shows my modified design and the first six inches of the weave.  I can see that I need to work on getting the weft pulled tightly when I first start weaving.  The weft shouldn't be showing and the band shouldn't be getting narrower.   

The pick-up is easy, but time consuming.  I numbered the pattern squares.  One shed has the even numbered squares and the other shed has the odd numbered ones.  I used a  pick-up stick to lift or lower the appropriate pattern threads, so that all the red squares in one row are on the top, and all the others are on the lower part of the shed.  Then I use the pickup stick turned on its side to hold the shed open for weaving.

The thicker pattern threads create a raised design.  The weaving is done with the same yarn as the edge warp threads.

This will make a nice portable project.  I think I will take it to the Fiber Festival at the castle in Charlevoix, Michigan this Saturday and Sunday (July 23-24).  Hope to see some of you weavers and spinners there!  I will be there with all five of my granddaughters.  Bring your spinning for the spin-in!

5 comments:

  1. Hello Jenny,
    I'm so glad to have found your blog! I'm loving the glimpses of your studio, your weaving adventures and the beautiful postcards from Michigan. So beautiful...

    Cheers from Chile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried this yet, thanks for all the photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a technique I've always wanted to try. Thanks for the wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! I have never tried the basketweave pick up with a white background before! I'm all excited! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete