Monday, February 20, 2012

Slowly Getting Back to Weaving Again

I can't believe I haven't written anything since the beginning of January.  I think the bears took a lot out of me, so I haven't been doing any weaving since Christmas.

On January 30th, I had a mild heart attack, but even a mild one has affected me quite a bit.  I was too tired to do much of anything for at least a week, and after I started back to work, I didn't have any energy once I got home.  I think my brain finally kicked in to where I can actually concentrate on something for more than a few minutes.

I finished winding the linen warp that I was working on when I had the attack, and got it onto the loom a couple days ago.  I did a little weaving yesterday, checking for threading errors (I found two) and was thankful that my Leclerc Fanny came with a few snap-in repair heddles.  They are so easy to use.

The linen I am working on is for some cloths to use at church for communion.  I threaded an Atwater-Bronson lace, and then designed a cross to weave in the center, using a pick-up technique.  It took a bit of thinking, but finally figured out the treadling sequence for the pick-up.  I have to push two treadles to get a single shaft to rise on my counterbalance loom.  I could have done a direct tie-up, but I didn't feel like crawling under the loom to change the treadles, so what I figured out works for me.

Anyway, here is a photo of the cross, with as much as I could do tonight.  I have about 12 more pattern rows to finish.  It went faster than I anticipated, so maybe I can finish it tomorrow if I'm not too tired after work.

The x's on the design weave plain weave, and the lace is all around the cross and in the center of it.  It will show up much better after the cloth has been wet finished.  The lace threads will migrate toward each other, and leave larger lacy holes.




Here is a larger photo of my design, and a close-up of the bottom of the cross.  Clicking on the photos will enlarge them.

It feels good to be weaving again!

3 comments:

  1. I read about your heart attack on Facebook - so scary. So many of us weavers are "of an age." I'm stunned you're able to weave on a work day at all. I never was able to, but it's very beautiful. I had to crawl around to change a tie-up today. It was a workout but I couldn't avoid it. I certainly hope your strength returns quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you've gotten to where you are feeling good enough to begin doing more of your "natural" things again. I'm sure you're told this all the time, but "don't over do". ;)
    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sharon and Mike. Weaving is generally relaxing for me, but I don't plan on over-doing if I'm too tired. This is a busy day at work, so I may be hitting the bed for a nap when I get home!

    ReplyDelete