Saturday, December 10, 2011

New Set of Towels

A few days ago, I wound a new warp for more towels.  It had a lot of color change, so I decided to wind each color separately and warp front to back.  Doing it that way, I decided, wasn't the best, since I had to be very careful not to get everything tangled. 
Well, I was successful, finally.  Tight ties on the warp, and tension was the key to keeping everything orderly. Here it is, all set to test for errors.  There were a few denting errors that were fairly easy to fix.
I finished one tabby weave towel tonight.  I did find one more error, with a crossed thread.  The burgundy color is more like the above photo, but the yellow is pretty bright, like the photo at left.
Here is the start of the second towel.  I'm weaving with navy blue weft, so it is making the burgundy look slightly purple.  I think I like the plain weave better for the color.

2 comments:

  1. I'll bet it was sort of nice to weave the first one in plain weave after doing the more complicated patterns of the Griswold Bears.
    I must admit that each time I see a woven pattern besides plain weave, I think I need to start trying some, too, but there is so much that can be done using plain weave that I haven't "nudged" myself beyond it yet. Maybe after the holiday gifts are done. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, I think I like the colors the best with the burgundy tabby, but I like pattern, and I get bored easily, so I usually pick something that can be woven with tabby, and several other variations. It still makes a nice set, since they all have the same warp in common. Towels are also a great way to experiment. Threading a rosepath is a little more prone to error, but it doesn't take much longer. A straight twill can be woven with a straight threading that is used for plain weave, along with a zigzag. It's just a matter of pushing different treadles. I just write the treadling order on a sticky note and put it where I can see it while weaving, and try to always stop at the beginning of the treadling sequence. If I don't, I keep a pin poked into the paper that I can mark my stopping spot with. It's fast, especially if I need to get up to answer the phone.

    ReplyDelete