Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Some Hand Sewing Stitches for Teddy

T1 (Teddy #1) is getting closer to being done, but what is left is the time consuming hand sewing.  Here is the body, head and one leg stuffed.  The head has been sewn on, and the back of the body closed.
I found some stuffing at Joann Fabrics that I am pleased with.  It's called Silky Soft and is marketed by Fairfield.  T1 doesn't feel lumpy at all, and I was a little worried about that happening, with it being fabric rather than fur.

Here is how I hand-sew the openings closed.  I knot my thread (this is a heavy top-stitching thread, waxed and doubled), start at one end of the opening, hide the knot inside, and start a ladder stitch.  Click on the photo to make it bigger.  I do quite a few stitches before taking the eye of a heavy needle and pulling the ladders tight.  I take my stitches just outside the stay-stitching at the opening.  The ladder stitch is like doing a running stitch, but alternating back and forth between both sides of the opening.  If the stitches are kept straight across the opening, they cinch up invisibly, without puckers.
When I get to the end of the opening, I use a nifty sewers knot that won't come undone, and is tiny, even with this thick thread.  The first step is to make a loop with the thread and then bring the needle up through the loop.
Another loop forms from the tail of the thread.  Take the needle down through the second loop. (Up through the first loop, down through the second loop.)
Pull on the thread to tighten the knot down to the surface of the fabric.

Can you see the knot?  I can't either, or just barely.  Even with this thick thread, it is a pretty small knot.  Now, just run the needle inside along the seam to hide the tail and exit an inch or so away and snip the thread. 

This is the best knot I have ever learned for sewing, and can be used any time you need to anchor the thread.  I use it for sewing on buttons, hemming, embroidery, smocking, tacking, etc.  The tail can be nipped off quite short, because the knot will NOT come undone!  With a single strand of regular sewing thread, the knot is very small.  Try it--you will never go back to anchoring thread your old way.

1 comment:

  1. Great photo tutuorial! Save this for your book!

    ReplyDelete