Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Green Rag Rug is Hemmed

The rag rug with all kinds of prints with green is complete.  I finished the hems last night, brought it in, dampened it on both sides, stomped on it a bit to set everything and left it to dry.  I still need to work on a tiny bit of waviness on the edges, which I suppose just requires a bit more weight on the edge threads.  I thought I had enough, but apparently not.

Here is a close up.  Since the strips were only one inch, doubled, there are four raw edges on the strips, and therefore, more lose threads.  Also, the way I joined the strips cause little tags of the ends to poke out between the warps.  If you don't like that in a rug, don't use my techniques!  I think it adds to the charm of a rag rug though.

4 comments:

  1. Nicely Done! I prefer to hem rugs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love love love it - it reminds me of the way they use to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely and I agree with the you. Enjoy the properties of a handwoven rug. I've been doing the 2" strips folded because I'm lazy and that reduces the cutting by half.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting -- 2005 is just about when I myself started to weave!

    ReplyDelete