Monday, February 12, 2018

Will a Mixed Warp Work Well Together?

I recently read about a method to test whether different yarns would work well together in a project. I have quite a few cones of wool yarns of varying weights, thicknesses, types, and blends, and thought it would be a good idea to see what happens to them after washing.

I cut off a little more than a yard of each yarn,  and sorted them into four bundles by size. After folding each bundle in half to the length of the shortest piece, I cut the bundle in half. A knot at the cut end gave me a measuring point. I laid them all out on my striped tablecloth and cut them all the same length, again to the length of the shortest piece.
Leaving four of the bundles as my control groups, I washed the other four as I would if I was wet finishing a project.

After straightening out the washed bundles next to the control bundles, I was able to see the difference in shrinkage. I will now be able to make a more educated guess on which yarns will combine successfully.

Click on the photo for an enlarged view and more detail.

A striped wool blanket has been on my mind. I will avoid the yarns that shrunk the most, since I don't want a seersucker stripe!

I will keep my test and control bundles in my wool cupboard for future reference.


7 comments:

  1. Yes great info Jenny. I'm not a big sampler yet and this is a great way to determine compatibility without threading/tying on, etc. I've made the mistake of combining incompatible yarns on a warp of scarves. What a hoot! They turned out like Lily Munster's cape! It was charity work anyway so no big loss. This is a good tip. Thank you.

    Tom Z in IL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom. It is good to hear from you. Some people take classes to deliberately learn to weave that way. There is a name for it that eludes me, but it isn’t mistake.
      Jenny B

      Delete
  2. Very informative post, thank you. I would love to come up and meet you sometime, I'm just below Traverse City.
    Kathy, in Buckley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I would like to have you visit. I have open studio day almost every Tuesday. If that doesn’t work, most other days will work. I just need to be notified. I don’t want to put contact information on here though. If you are on Facebook, you could look me up and contact me through Messenger.

      Delete
    2. Mine was certainly a mistake. I think it's called 'collapse weave' - Planned shrinkage differentials. I've seen it. Pretty to look at, but not my style. I'm just a good old fashioned fabric kinda guy.
      Wonderful to see your posts again Jenny. Keep it up.
      Tom Z. in IL

      Delete
    3. Right, collapse weave! Thanks Tom.

      I spent the day preparing my 10 shaft counterbalance loom for weaving a wool blanket. It is a long process. I should remember to take photos as I go!
      Jenny B

      Delete