Wednesday, December 10, 2014
The finest yarn I used previously was a 20/1 linen. I had to use something thinner than that, so I used a yarn that had been in my stash for quite a while. It is a blend of 80% tensel and 20% silk and is quite shiny and a light eggshell color.
To keep it in control as I was putting the yarn on the loom, I used my pair of "angel wings" to keep the threads from tangling. After measuring the yarn, I slipped the two dowels in the cross, which keeps the yarn in threading order. The warp went on the loom without any problems. I think the key to that is keeping tension on the warp while winding it on the warp beam.
I started off with a sample to check the pattern for errors before I started the actual scarf. I could tell right away that the scarf was going to take FOREVER to weave! I think I figured out I had to make 72 passes with the shuttles to weave an inch.
If you look closely at this photo, you can see the slight bit of color from the Sulky rayon machine embroidery thread I used for the tabby yarn. It is variegated pastel colors and the blue shows the most. I wouldn't use it in a project again because it was so slippery and curled up a lot, especially toward the end of the bobbin.
I finished up my records and draft to share with my guild, but needless to say, there will be no samples to give to anyone! Now I need to get my crackle project off another loom, write up those records and possibly weave some samples. I should have some photos of that Christmas runner project soon.