Monday, January 28, 2013
Autumn Leaves Towels Are Completed
I put the warp on my Leclerc Jano table loom, and after the first towel, I removed the two outermost stripes. It was just too wide for the loom. The next three towels wove a little better.
After cutting the first four towels off the loom, I retied the warp and started what I hoped would be five or six more towels. As the warp decreased on the loom, it became easier to weave. I cut a few more towels off and continued to weave the rest of the warp. Each batch got easier. I'm not sure if it was because of less warp on the loom, or I just got into a routine with the weaving.
I finished the last towels a few days ago. The were wet finished, dried, pressed and hemmed, and then they were posed for a photo. All of the towels were woven as checks with a single color except for the last one. I had a little fun playing around with the block sizes, and I used all eight colors instead of just one. I think I like that one the best! It was a good way to empty all the bobbins of the yarn left on them.
Now, I am back out in the studio weaving a rug, and thinking about more rugs to follow.
I started with the intention of doing a rug with dark cloth strips in a twill pattern, but couldn't find the fabrics I wanted to use, so I went back to doubled threads in an almost tabby. I am using up more polyester doubleknit strips I had sitting around in a box from an old braided rug attempt from many years ago. Yea stash reduction! This one is going quickly, but is not on my Weaver's Delight, so it is a little harder on my arms and shoulders. I should have it done in a few days.
Hopefully, by the time this rug is complete, I will come up with fabrics to try my other design plan. The way this is threaded, I can weave x's and diamonds, and they show up especially well in the white stripes. I think it will make a distinctive rug.