Monday, September 10, 2012
Sunday, September 9, 2012
Also seen in the bottom edge of the photo are weights that I used on my last four edge threads on each side. I'm hoping with the weighted selvedges, that I won't have wavy edges.
Another bolt that I had to keep an eye on was the big bolt holding on the cams. With the loom warped, it isn't visible, so it's an easy one to forget about. It has to be pretty tight, or it will constantly come loose.
All in all, I think I had a pretty successful first warp. I'm anxious to start learning more with my next one.
Sunday, September 2, 2012
I have mixed feelings about weaving rugs. They weave fast if there isn't any variation to them, but I seem to be most attracted to the ones with stripes or more detail. There is such a lot of prep work that goes into a nice rug, that it usually takes longer than weaving it. Prepping is a lot of hard work, and some can be hard on the body. My hands are getting pretty sore, so I may soon have to take a break and get back to finer weaving with just yarn.
Before I got the Weaver's Delight up and running, I put a warp on Fanny. This one ended up with stripes in both directions. I was trying to use up some horrible old polyester doubleknit that I inherited. The warp will definitely wear out before the weft does! The majority of the rug is of a tan, gray, and white striped fabric cut about an inch wide. The narrower accent stripes are navy blue and burgundy strips. I cut them 1/2" wide and doubled them since these particular knits were kind of stiff. They packed in better that way. The red was twisted with the navy to give a little accent color. This rug is getting close to being finished. I haven't decided what will be next, but it may be one fabric, or one color with a twill variation. Denim could be a possibility if my hands and wrists hold up to the rotary cutting.
Most of the rugs I am weaving are probably going to go up for sale. Our church regularly goes on a mission trip to Kentucky every year, and they need to raise the funds for any repair projects they sign up to do. Hopefully, I will have a stack of rugs before next years trip.
I actually wove this rug for us. We needed a small rug by the tub/shower that wouldn't cover the heat register on the floor. The light colored fabric is a recycled mattress ticking. I like how the striped fabric looks when woven. The rest of the fabrics are from my large stash, chosen to match the colors in the shower curtain. I'm determined to gradually whittle away at the many boxes of fabric upstairs in my studio.
The 8 1/2 yards of warp that I put on the WD is quickly coming to an end. I will probably get one or two more rugs from it, and then I will probably try the plain weave cams on the next warp.