I have been taking some small steps with finishing the loom restoration during the last month. The good news is that I started weaving on it today!
The cast iron parts at the bottoms of the back posts are there to bolt the loom to the floor. This photo is evidence of why they are needed. The papers on the floor by the loom were halfway UNDER the loom when I started weaving. The loom moved about 1 1/2 to 2 feet while weaving the warp spacers and the hem! I am going to have to get Bob's help turning the loom and bracing it against the foundation with a couple 2x4's.
Sectional warping was a new experience for me. The spool rack worked well as long as it had weight at the bottom to keep it from tipping over. I needed all the threads to come into the tension box from a low position, so I ran them under a barbell.
I cut eight pieces of plastic tubing and slipped them over the pegs to help guide the threads into each section. It kept the warp from catching on the tops of the pegs.
The straps on the loom were in very poor condition, and were wired together in spots. I contacted an acquaintance of my daughter Becky, and he was able to make new straps.