Monday, October 3, 2011

Attaching Eyes to Teddy and Starting Final Fabric

Eyes come with a shank and a gripping washer that slides onto the shank.  The newer eyes have plastic washers, but still work the same way.
I make a hole with the awl and push the eye shank through.  These eyes look quite loose because the washers haven't been put on the shanks yet.
The washer is pushed on by hand until it is very tight.  There is a right and wrong way to put on the washer.  If it is right, it can't be pulled off the shank.  I don't think it can be pushed on the wrong way because the prongs grip the shank.
This warp was a natural color with dark brown slubs that I dyed a pinky brown.  It is sett 24 epi in a 12 dent reed.
This is the weft, and it is a wool and angora mix that I dyed pink.  I'm hoping it will show more than the weft, which is quite rough.
I wove a little sample last night with a few different treadlings.  I will be using the one next to the paper tape measure, since it shows the most angora.

3 comments:

  1. The teddy bears look wonderful so far. I've been following your posts about them, and it makes me wish I sewed so I could make some too. The different fabrics you've woven are lovely. I look forward to the next installment.

    -the redhead-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need stuffing before I can do any more with this bear. Unfortunately, Petoskey is the closest for that type of thing.

    ReplyDelete